Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Raised Square Foot Garden


Jersey is guarding my vegetable garden against all the rabbits! (big rabbit problem in my yard)  Making a raised garden was a lot of work, and a team effort with my kids. The 4x4' box is made from 2x10" boards, topped with 1 foot high removable fencing to discourages rabbits, since Jersey can't stand guard all the time. The fence was made from furring strip that was laying around the attic, and welded wire fence that was there before I built that picket fence. (see previous blog Picket Fence and Gate)

Here's a great link to a beginner's guide to square foot gardening. They say it costs about $50, but mine was probably double that. I also learned a lot from My Square Foot Garden. 

Here's my soil mix:
Pearlite 10 x 8-qt
4 cu ft. peat moss (expands when you unpack it)
5 x 40-lb bags of cow compost

The plants are the cheapest purchase. Here's a little plan of my plants:

‪#‎GetBuilding2015‬ and ‪#‎BuildGrowLove‬   #AnaWhite #GetBuidingCaren #DIYHallofFame


No comments:

Post a Comment